Benefit of CrossFit – Working Out From Home
One of the many benefits of CrossFit is the ability to do a lot of the workouts (typically called WODs, which stands for workout of the day) from anywhere – even if you have little to no equipment available. In the perfect world, every week we would be able to take out an hour or so from our day four to five times a week to go to the gym to work out.
But let’s be real, sometimes this just does not happen. In the many things that come up in life, usually working out is one of the first things sacrificed when life gets busy. There are many things that may interfere with our gym schedule or cause us to have a need for at-home workouts:
- Busy work week. Maybe your job has busy seasons, so for a portion of the year you are unable to be as available as other times of the year. Or maybe your job is just busy all the time and you have certain weeks you need to work out from the convenience of your home.
- Traveling for work. Your job may require you to be on the road for multiple days or even weeks, and those hotel gyms are tiny and usually hidden in the dungeon of the hotel.
- Kids' schedules. If your kid(s) play sports, sing in the chorus, or participate in a lot of church activities, you may have times throughout the year when you have to make some sacrifices in what you do with your time.
- Holidays. The gym you go to probably has limited hours throughout the holidays, making it difficult to stick to your routine.
- Bad weather. If you live somewhere that has a lot of snow in the winter, bad road conditions may stop you from getting to the gym from time-to-time throughout the winter season.
- Extra workout time. And maybe you are one of those lucky ones (or super motivated, rather) that has the time to do more than one workout a day, so you want to squeeze in an extra WOD at home.
In the perfect world, every week we would be able to take out an hour or so from our day four to five times a week to go to the gym to work out. But let’s be real, sometimes this just does not happen.
Whatever your reason may be, they are all valid, and all come up in people’s lives from time-to-time. Finding excuses are easy when it comes to getting out of a workout, but fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), many CrossFit workouts can be completed from just about anywhere, and in just a few minutes!
So even though some things do not go as planned - days, weeks or even months become hectic, time flies and before you realize it you look at the clock (or calendar!) and realize you did not make it to your CrossFit class, again.
Even then, there is still hope for you to complete your WODs so you don’t feel the effects of missing out at the gym as much when you are able to return.
One of the really great things about CrossFit is that fact that the workouts are quick (most of the time), and your WOD can easily be completed from your own home. Of course, not all workouts can be completed at home, especially if your equipment at home is very limited. However, there are a lot that can be completed at home or even modified to be doable from the comfort of your living room. Some of the exercises that can be done from home are squats, burpees, push-ups, planks, tricep dips, sit-ups and lunges. The WODs can combine all these exercises to create some great blood-pumping workouts.
Over the next few weeks, we will be sharing a series of at-home workouts here on BoxStalker. These will be workouts that you can do when life gets a little busier than you want. Check back soon!
Share this post